Re: Do we need an XForms actions module if we switch to XML events 2?

Nick,

did you miss http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-events2/#xpath-event-function ? So
the event() function is already there.

I wondered about the naming scheme in XML Events 2, too. It's not only
the dispatchEvent element (and the missing delay attribute) but there is
also @raise instead of @name and @destid instead of @target. Furthermore
there is @declare on the action element which I do not really understand.

Since the XML Events is modeled after DOM Events and uses the IDL's
method names, I don't understand why the attribute names do not resemble
the method's parameters names like they do on other elements. Mark, can
you shed some light on this?

For most consistency I'd suggest to rename some attributes in XML Events 2:

* dispatchEvent/@raise -> dispatchEvent/@event

The verb raise is misleading. A normal developer would associate an
exception rather than an event. I think it should be named event for
consistency with action, addEventListener, removeEventListener,
stopPropagation, preventDefault. Other options would be name (like in
XForms) or type (like in DOM Events).

* dispatchEvent/@destid -> dispatchEvent/@target

I think destid is a comparably poor naming choice. It contains an
abbreviation, a redundant id, and does not follow the usual naming scheme.

* action/@targetid -> action/@target

See above.

When these naming issues are resolved, I'd like to drop the XForms
Action module.

Regards,
Uli.

--