Role attribute values

From: Roland Merrick <roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:39:56 +0100
To: w3c-wai-pf@w3.org, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org, public-xhtml2@w3.org
Greetings, I have been reading the XHTML Vocabulary namespace [1] document
and have a few comments. I have not completed the review since it would
result in a lot of comments that follow a particular pattern. Rather than
waste your time, and mine, detailing every comment when you may not accept
the premise underlying most of them, I have included the following for
your consideration:

Consistent terminology:

  uses both "document" and "page", pick one,
  I suggest "Web Page" as defined by

Consistent use of RDFa:

  two different examples, "search" and "alert", why are they different?
property="rdfs:label">search</span> indicates that the section provides a
search facility.</p>

alert or error information.</p>
  I do not know if there is any significant difference between the two
examples, I do know that they show up differently in Operator.

secondary indicates that the section supports but is separable from the
main content of resource.

change "secondary" to "complementary"

Two comments.
  1) please define "alert". "My interpretation" is that this results in a
some "modal" display that prevents the user from continuing until that
have responded to the "alert". But this may not be what is intended, how
would I know what is intended?
  2) I agree with a comment made by Mark Birbeck [2], I think it would be
better to remove "alertdialog" and use the "dialog" and "alert" terms and
specify role="alert dialog". Is some distinction between
role="alertdialog" and role="alert dialog"? If so it is not described.
A broad term, it is not clear to me from the description when I should use

This is the only term that caters for an affordance that enables
user-triggered actions. "button" carries a certain amount of baggage in
terms of preconceptions. There are many ways of enabling user action
without the use of a "button" uless your definition is such that it covers
all activation mechanisms. Since I am unsure as to your intent it is hard
to suggest an alternative but perhaps "activator" might be close.

Baggage again here, if this intended to refer to the common UI widget then
I would have expected only two possible states, i.e. a boolean. Whether
the states represent true|false, on|off, 0|1, dead|alive is determined by
the "Web Page"|"Application" creator. Once again, I think it would be more
appropriate to name this property "boolean" or 2wayChoice.
Baggage again here. What is the important essence? The user is offered the
opportunity to choose one item from a set of alternatives. You also
suggest "where users can type to locate a selected item". A "combobox" is
not the only widget that offers these capabilities, especially in the RIA

[1] http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab/

Regards, Roland
IBM Software Group, Strategy, Software Standards