Re: role cardinality [was: Re: ARIA Proposal ]

From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev@moonset.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:40:34 -0400
To: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
CC: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>, public-xhtml2@w3.org, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

>> Firefox 2 only looks at the first value,
>
> Let's check that with Aaron.  I thought that it looks at the first
> ARIA role it finds, for the purposes
> of binding to the accessibility APIs.  It doesn't interfere with
> as the value of the attribute.  And I didn't think it looked at only
> the lexically first token in the
> attribute value.
In fact I misstated. I thought we had done that, but now that I look at
the code -- we only allow one role.

It would not be a huge problem to implement something for FF3 that
supports multiple roles but only one ARIA role, if we can come to a
consensus soon. I don't see backwards compat as a problem yet because no
one I know of is yet even using the landmark roles, even the really good
ones like "main" and "navigation". That's most likely because ATs don't
support those yet.

- Aaron