Re: ARIA Proposal

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:13:31 +0200
To: "Matthew Raymond" <mattraymond@earthlink.net>, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, public-xhtml2@w3.org, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 05:38:17 +0200, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond@earthlink.net> wrote:
>    With regard to the |role| attribute, I suggest you replace it with an
> attribute named "aria-role" for the following reasons:
>
> 1) It maintains consistency with your aria-/attribute/ nomenclature.
>
> 2) You don't have to modify the parsing of the |role| attribute to treat
> ARIA elements as if they were in the XHTML namespace. Instead, you have
> a separate attribute that only takes the roles defined in the WAI-ARIA
> Roles spec.

I'm not sure how this is an advantage though. If you would go down this
path you would have to define interaction between

   role=
   aria-role
   html:role=

which seems worse than just defining the interaction between role= and
html:role=. Actually, if you also introduce html:aria-role for other
languages than HTML to make it all consistent it becomes even more
complicated. I agree that it would've been nice if all attributes used the
aria- prefix, but we already have some deployed content here plus it seems
to me that giving up role= is not that big of a deal.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>