Re: ARIA Proposal

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:13:31 +0200
To: "Matthew Raymond" <mattraymond@earthlink.net>, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, public-xhtml2@w3.org, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 05:38:17 +0200, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond@earthlink.net> wrote:
>    With regard to the |role| attribute, I suggest you replace it with an
> attribute named "aria-role" for the following reasons:
> 1) It maintains consistency with your aria-/attribute/ nomenclature.
> 2) You don't have to modify the parsing of the |role| attribute to treat
> ARIA elements as if they were in the XHTML namespace. Instead, you have
> a separate attribute that only takes the roles defined in the WAI-ARIA
> Roles spec.

I'm not sure how this is an advantage though. If you would go down this
path you would have to define interaction between

which seems worse than just defining the interaction between role= and
html:role=. Actually, if you also introduce html:aria-role for other
languages than HTML to make it all consistent it becomes even more
complicated. I agree that it would've been nice if all attributes used the
aria- prefix, but we already have some deployed content here plus it seems
to me that giving up role= is not that big of a deal.

Anne van Kesteren