Re: ARIA States and Properties Meeting

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:29:48 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, www-svg@w3.org, public-html@w3.org, public-xhtml2@w3.org, w3c-wai-pf@w3.org, w3c-html-cg@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> as HTML doesn't support namespaces.

Small point of order.

HTML4 doesn't support canvas or namespaces.

As of October, 2007, HTML5 choses to support canvas but choses not to
support namespaces.  But it is fair to point out that HTML5 continues to
be a draft, and subject to change.

Given that context, it is fair to talk about the reasons why HTML5 does
not currently support namespaces, and the consequences (both positive
and negative) to that state of affairs; but it is not fair to state it
as if it were a foregone conclusion.

It is my belief that ultimately there will prove to be sufficient
justification for namespaced or mime type qualified additions.

It is further my belief that if that realization occurs after the
Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 timeframe, it will be more expensive to all to
implement than if work began in earnest before that point.

- Sam Ruby