Re: Role and Access attribute modules and namespaces

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:07:06 -0500
To: tina@greytower.net
Cc: XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>, public-xhtml2-request@w3.org, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>

Does not address Henri's third suggestion:

<henri>
I'm curious why a third way isn't mentioned:
3) Non-Namespaced Attributes for both role and states/properties with
the latter prefixed with "aria-" (and no qNames in content but opaque
strings):
<svg
  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
  <g role="checkbox" aria-checked="true">...</g>
</svg>

Pros:
 * Matches what has recently been proposed for (X)HTML5 and XUL.
Good both for implementation and author skill portability.
 * Fewer namespaces to deal with (i.e. easier).
 * Copy-paste-friendly.
 * DOM-friendly. (qNames in content are *bad* in the DOM.)
 * Not a chameleon namespace per se. The attributes would be in no
namespace in XHTML5, SVG and XUL.
 * Semantics and processing can still be imported by normative
reference from wherever they get defined for HTML5. No need to spec
all this in the SVG spec.

Cons:
 * Not what the WAI PFWG draft currently says.
 * Unorthodox in terms of XML architecture.
</henri>

Thoughts?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Tina Holmboe
             <tina@greytower.n
             et>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
             public-xhtml2-req                                          cc
             uest@w3.org               XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Role and Access attribute
             10/16/2007 10:08          modules and namespaces
             AM

             Please respond to
             tina@greytower.ne

On 16 Oct, Shane McCarron wrote:

> So, I propose that we say this:  Elements and Attributes declared in
> the XHTML namespace exist in that namespace, and nowhere else.

  This makes sense to me. It's also good to have it said explicitly.

--
 -  Tina Holmboe      Developer's Archive           Greytower Technologies
                   http://www.dev-archive.net      http://www.greytower.net

graycol.gif
(image/gif attachment: graycol.gif)

pic04502.gif