Re: XHTML 1.1 validator rejects xml:space attributes

Bonjour David, Hi all.

On Oct 4, 2007, at 19:30 , david.dufour@free.fr wrote:
> W3C validator rejects the xml:space attribute and tells me the
> document is not
> valid XHTML 1.1.

> Moreover, why this attribute has been added in XHTML 1.1 is
> explained in W3C
> FQA:
> "Why is xml:space set to 'preserve' on all elements of XHTML?"

Ack, this is an issue which was not on my radar. Thank you for
bringing it up.
The cause is that:
- XHTML 1.1 went to the status of RECommendation. This usually means,
"finished, stable, standardized".
- the validator uses this (and the DTD published at the time) to
validate XHTML 1.1
- XHTML 1.1, however, went back to "working draft" since then. It is
less stable, of course, than the older REC, but fixes are added in.

The usual practice is not to include draft versions of DTDs into the
validator, but to wait at least until PR. However, in this case of a
specification going from REC back into WD for a second edition. The
validator could use the latest WD's version for validation of XHTML
1.1, if _and only if_ changes from the 1st edition REC won't make a
valid XHTML 1.1 document now invalid.

XHTML WG folks, would you confirm that this is the case, and advise
whether it is a good idea, for the sake of XHTML 1.1 adoption, to
update the validator's catalog?

Many thanks.
--
olivier