Re: role cardinality [was: Re: ARIA Proposal ]

Hi Simon,

One thing that came up on today's pf call was the point about
aria-properties being in the XHTML namspace. This is new. So, the question
I have is which of the two working groups owns the xhtml namespace - xhtml2
or html? This was not clear after the W3C split the effort.

The proposal states: UAs must process an aria-propertyname attribute in no
namespace that is part of an element in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
namespace as described below, unless that element has a propertyname
attribute in the http://www.w3.org/2005/07/aaa namespace specified.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             "Simon Pieters"
             <simonp@opera.com
             Sent by:                  "Al Gilman"
             public-html-reque         <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>,
             st@w3.org                 public-html <public-html@w3.org>,
                                       public-xhtml2@w3.org,
                                       "wai-xtech@w3.org"
             10/01/2007 06:47          <wai-xtech@w3.org>

                                                                   Subject

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:55:16 +0200, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>
wrote:

> b) this specifically allowed for there to be both an ARIA 'menu' role
> and an XHTML 'navigation' role on the same element. In other words,
> there are use cases for mixing and matching the roles from the two
> vocabularies. Dumping the XHTML role values into the ARIA namespace
> and then limiting to one is not the same functionality.

I've changed the authoring requirements so that the roles defined in the
XHTML Role Attribute Module aren't allowed to have the wairole: prefix.

> Make the specification a little more of a selector-based rule. That
> is to say, define the space of attributes (as now) and the
> 'first-found from [limited range of sources, maybe only the ARIA
> roles]' query and then say that values so found are to be processed
> as described here.

I've changed the algorithm to use the first WAI-ARIA role instead of just
the first role.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software