The equivalence of <title> with the title property

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:22:31 +0100
To: "XHTML WG" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

As I edited the minutes of the call, I noticed Shane's remark on IRC for
the first time:

"ShaneM: Note that the RDFa spec does not say that something with a
property of dc:title is the same as / overrides the title element."

That is absolutely true. But the XHTML2 spec says:

"The title of a document is metadata about the document, and so a title
like <title>About W3C</title> is equivalent to <meta about=""
property="title">About W3C</meta>."

So we say that the title element is semantically equivalent to the
html:title property (and I hope we say the same about the title attribute
somewhere, I need to check; no we don't, needs to be added).

For this reason, I would also like to propose that we remove the
requirement that there MUST be a title element in every <head>.