Re: XHTML Basic 1.1 - changes list, examples, test suite

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:48:51 +0200
To: "olivier Thereaux" <ot@w3.org>, "HTML WG" <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>
Cc: "XHTML WG" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 04:05:33 +0200, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:
> Dear HTML WG,
>
> We recently got reports that the markup validator at w3c had issues with
> XHTML Basic 1.1 document, which was a surprise to me because I did not
> know there was a 1.1 version of that spec in the works.

Not reading W3C news ;-)?
http://www.w3.org/News/2006#x20060705a

I'm surprised there are issues. Want to summarise?

> I have now added that document type in our catalog, may I request that:
> * You inform us (www-validator) when there is any new document type
> created by the HTML WG

It's not clear to us why you need to add it to the catalog. There is a
public URL for the sysid. Our experience is that Basic 1.1 works out of
the box with the validator.

> * You inform us of any publication or republication of DTDs, so that we
> can update the catalog of the validator?

That information is always in the W3C news, wouldn't that be enough?

> as it will not only help us stay in sync with your specs, and help
> adoption of the specs, it will also expose an important audience to your
> work on these specs.
>
> Also, for the sake of the validator's test suite, could you provide us
> with a few examples of XHTML Basic 1.1 documents?

Yes. This is a cooperative work with OMA, and they are responsible for the
test suite. The suite is currently located at
http://testfest.openmobilealliance.org/

> I would also strongly suggest adding to the XHTML Basic 1.1 spec:
> * a list of changes from XHTML Basic 1.0, which it replaces

Of course; that has already been done. Please see the abstract.

Best wishes,

Steven