Re: Getting Serious about WebID Bootstrap

On 9/28/12 8:23 AM, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
> +1
>

> i'd also encourage people in the community at this opportunity
> to use the technology we're preaching it to be the non-plus-ultra.
>
> especially with sioc, skos and foaf you can more or less do any page you
> want, there's no need for wordpress, drupal and the like.
>
> check out what happens with this sample page [1] with firefox and
> firebug (or whatever) to see all the requests and whats going on
> (=sparql + template).
>
> [1] http://business.turnguard.com/html/
>

> On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 07:36 -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Bootstrapping anything on the Web requires technology implementer to use
>> (dog-food) whatever technology they seek to promote to others. Thus, I
>> would like to encourage every participant in the RWW and WebID community
>> groups to make a best-effort to start signing emails, moving forward.
>>
>> Naturally, these emails should be signed using an WebID watermarked
>> X.509 certificate. Certificate generation choices include:
>>
>> 1. Native generators that come with your desktop OS -- Mac OS X,
>> Windows, and Linux all include such a utility
>> 2. Certificate generators from WebID IdPs -- I have a list here:
>> http://delicious.com/kidehen/webid+webid_idp (ping me if you have a
>> generator that's unlisted) .
>>
>> Over the last year or so, I've written a number of how-to guides [1]
>> covering how to sign emails across all the major native email clients.
>>
>> Once again, if we don't sign our emails we loose a simple opportunity to
>> showcase the utility of WebIDs and the WebID authentication protocol.
>> Being able to follow-your-nose from a WebID that watermarks an email
>> senders certificate is a very simple utility showcase for both WebID and
>> Linked Data.
>>
>> We can do this!
>>
>> Links:
>>
>> 1. http://bit.ly/VTnxzz -- collection of G+ hosted howtos (for all the
>> major native email clients) covering how to digitally sign emails .

Yep!

I receive your email, I click on the certificate used to sign your mail,
it unveils the following in the certs. SAN:
http://www.turnguard.com/turnguard .

I follow-my-nose and all is revealed.

All: social networking, business etc.. are all *contact* sports :-) The
semantics that underlying the aforementioned are extensive and only
fully exploitable via machine readable logic combined with structured
data as delivered by Linked Data. This is all about the "magic of being
you" meshed with the "magic of the web architecture".

We must dogfood. This is how we take WebID viral, in a the most
cost-effective and powerful way. As I've stated repeatedly, premature
optimization via new applications doesn't make boostraps happen. Users
need "deceptively simple" mechanisms for engaging their attention en
route to consuming any kind of value being promoted and proposed.

Just as I can ACL protected resources based on social relationships, I
can do the same with my email filters, ditto service registrations etc..
It's all about machine readable semantics discernible from Web-scale
Linked Data structures.

Founder & CEO