Re: Point of Order - Re: What is a WebID?

On 5 Nov 2012, at 15:44, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 November 2012 12:23, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
> I may have to ask for this e-mail and responses to be deleted from the W3C archive
> as it is making false claims which are completely irrelevant to this discussion and
> making it personal where it need not be personal at all. This sidetracking of the discussion
> is really not helpful.
>
> Henry, I apologize if any comment I made caused any offence, or was inaccurate.

It was just very dangerously ambiguous, so I had to intervene here.

> The idea that I wanted to get across was Tim's comment from the F2F that you has worked on WebID for some time and that his opinion should carry some weight.  Obviously, I will retract any comments of a personal nature.

Thanks. This is a consensus process and so everybody opinion carries weight. Not equal weight it is true:  feedback from people who implement carries more weight, and feedback from people who grow the community carries even more - as their contributions help metastabilise the protocol.  Implementing is what constitutes playing the game.

The aim is to reach what David Lewis in "Convention" terms Common Knowledge and on which he founds his definition of the term.

   http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/common-knowledge/

This means that we need to reach a stage where we all know that we all know what the convention is. This is what makes it valuable to follow the convention, since we can then depend on it to help guide our actions.