Apache or NGinx certificate renegotiation protocol? (e.g.: for reverse proxies)

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:22:34 +0200
Cc: Romain BLIN <r_blin@orange.fr>, Julien Subercaze <julien.subercaze@univ-st-etienne.fr>
To: WebID <public-webid@w3.org>, public-xg-webid XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
It seems like a lot of servers are behind firewalls where Apache or NGinx play the role of reverse proxy.
Often there are clients behind them that use them - e.g. Java servers. I am pretty sure Java servers have some kind of protocol to communicate with Apache.

What I would like to know, is if those protocols contain a method to renegotiate a TLS connection in view of asking for a client certificate. It seems that this would be something useful to have, if one wanted to allow the server to decide for which resources authentication was required.