Re: two mailing lists - is one too many

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have two public mailing lists for the WebID Community Group.
> The XG mailing list has all those who subscribed to the XG mailing
> list + all the members of the WebID Community Group, while the
> public-webid mailing list only has the WebID members and those who
> joined and subscribed to that. The number of members are
>

> - 90 e-mail accounts for  public-xg-webid@w3.org
> - 26                 for  public-webid@w3.org
>
> I think it would be good to close one of them as otherwise discussions
> will end up be going in parallel in both groups, and so water down the
> conversation.
>
> So the ideal may be to move everyone on public-xg-webid to public-webid.

I agree public-webid@ is more generic and nicer. if it's possible to move
everyone to that new list, great, but beware people will still send emails
to public-xg-webid@w3.org since that's what they're used to (they have it
in their address book), so someone would need to watch that list, or W3
could set an autoreply message inviting to send to the new list instead.

what about the archive of the public-xg-webid mailing list on w3.org?

> But if that cannot be done without asking everybody to resubscribe,
> then I think it may be better to close the public-webid mailing list,
> and stick with the weird XG legacy.

I agree having one single list will make things easier and less confusing.

Steph.