Re: Testing Webid

On 1/14/12 6:30 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2012, at 22:41, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 1/14/12 12:06 PM, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
>>> hi melvin,
>>>
>>> thanks for taking the time...
>>>
>>> i mis-judged from this doc [1] that the content-type "application/xhtml+xml" is a must for rdfa to be valid.
>>> but i just found this statement here [2] which i overlooked when last "fixed" the rdfa parser.
>>>
>>> a text/html tolerant rdfa parser is now online @ https://webid.turnguard.com:8443/WebIDTestServer/
>>>
>>> wkr http://www.turnguard.com/turnguard
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/
>>> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#docconf (at the bottom of the paragraph : "XHTML+RDFa documents SHOULD be labeled with the Internet Media Type "application/xhtml+xml" as defined in [RFC3236]."
>> Jurgen,
>>
>> You continue to highlight critical points in this whole after. #2 above is a gem!
>>
>> RDFa is mercurial in text/html space, you continue to demonstrate yet another issue that's being left in an ambiguous state with poor end-users and plumbers to find out the hard way
> How is this a bigger issue than when OpenLink Virtuoso extends what it accepts as hexBinary as you just explained in your recent e-mail to this list?
>
>      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2012Jan/0598.html
>
> If it makes sense to extend hexBinary the way you do following the principle "be lenient in what you accept and strict in what you produce" - and I think you really have a good point there - then it makes sense to accept text/html and use a flexible html parser instead of a stricter RDFa one too, right?

Yes, if you are ready to do the work. The trouble with the principle I
espouse is that it requires a lot more work than most developers are
ready to put it. For instance, we have done the work (eons ago) re.
handling RDFa in text/html (esp. with showcased by our handling
publishers of GoodRelations based offers embedded in HTML), and from
that work we've also experienced (first hand) all the pain associated
with using text/html with RDFa (which is xhtml).

To be more specific about your point, the answer is a resounding yes, if
a developer can do the work and maintain the code etc.

Also note, the same principle applies to "choice" as in treating:
Microformats, Microdata, and RDFa as options for embedding "mirrored
claims" graphs in HTML. As I've stated repeatedly, there's no excuse for
this matter to be prolonged since it only has adverse effects on WebID
with regards to consumer/commodity publishers that want to leverage "cut
and paste" oriented workflows re. publication of HTML based info cards
mirroring claims held in local key stores, in line with the WebID
verification protocol.

>> Anyway, I have Microdata and Microformats added to the mix re. WebID. These two options are going to be natural for the HTML oriented Web Developer seeking to exploit WebID.
>>
>> Also note, the spec current says:
>>
>> 1. de-reference URI
>>
>> 2. transform payload to RDF -- so a verifier can download an HTML with Microdata or Microformats as mechanism for structured data island (the claims graph inside HTML) and then transform to RDF prior to performing WebID lookup; this is what we do in our verifier and I encourage you (and others) to consider doing similar.

Also note my comments above, subtle but very important re., clarity . As
the spec stands it's compatible with the notion of Microformats,
Microdata, and RDFa as options, mechanically (since verifiers have to
transform payload to RDF), so not giving them equal status in the spec
adds confusion.

HTML is going to be the preferred format for publishing claims mirrors,
so why not have the spec accept the 3 options that best serve this
approach.

Kingsley

>> Kingsley

Founder&  CEO