Re: Note about de-referencable URIs

On 1/10/12 6:20 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> All,
>
> Here is an important point I want to clear up re. de-referencable URIs
> as they related to some of the long threads over the last few days re.
> this matter.
>
> My fundamental position is this:
>
> 1. URIs in certificates should be de-referencable
> 2. URIs do not necessarily have to be HTTP URIs to be de-referencable .
>
> There are WebID user profiles e.g. publishers, where placement of an
> Address (a de-referencable URI or URL) in alternative slots to the SAN
> still results in triangulation that's compatible with the goals of the
> WebID verification protocol .
>
> This I will demonstrate later this week or early next week. The net
> effect is all about allowing publisher to leverage the "cut and paste"
> pattern of the Web while exploiting the prowess of WebID.
>
> I want billions of WebID users out there pronto! The way to do this is
> via a pattern that taps into the Web's network effects. Thus, it has
> to be HTML and cut and paste friendly.
>
> This effort will also bring Microformats (via hCard) into play as yet
> another resource type that plays well with the WebID verification
> protocol.
>
> Stay tuned :-)

Some additional information re., Webfinger and how it provides a
mechanism for turning mailto: and acct: scheme URIs into de-referencable
URI based Names:

1. http://code.google.com/p/webfinger/wiki/WebFingerProtocol  -- Webfinger

2. http://hueniverse.com/2009/08/introducing-webfinger/ -- Nice post
about goals of Webfinger (which isn't about replacing HTTP URI based
names but offering an alternative ).

Founder&  CEO