WebID logs - Re: Last WebID XG teleconf: Tuesday 10 January 2012

Thanks Melvin.

So this was a very helpful meeting, but we forgot to scribe.  Some bribes of what was talked about is here:

http://www.w3.org/2012/01/10-webid-minutes.html

But we need to fill in the rest for those who could not attend. Please help me fill out pieces I missed.

1. Coralie Mercier joined

  Coralie helped give us an overview of our move to the Community Group.
  + we keep our wiki as it is
  + we keep the same mailing list name
  + we get all the new features of community groups (such as microblogging 😲 ! )
  + we even retain all the W3C XG support, so Caralie can still help us.
  - we will all have to sign in again whether we are members or not
    (because we have to sign that something about patents)

2. e-mail volume

  It was mentioned that some people don't participate because of the volume of messages. They have a lot of knowledge
but have a lot of other priorities. So we need if possible to give them space to participate.

  So I suggested the following

  1. Rate reduction: never post more than one e-mail per hour, or wait 1 or 2 hours before responding.
  2. Increase quality:
    + try to move towards testable issues, with use cases, and carefully laid out examples
    + try to remove as much that is not essential to the discussion, for short understandable posts
    + expressing things in clear language, using well understood language form w3c or ietf
    + think abut english
  => Given the rate reduction above and general acceptance of moving towards testable issues, this should allow
people who are perhaps better at building consensus to join the conversation.

   (I myself posted way too quickly yesterday. It was fun, but we are going to loose contributors that way)

3. Adding a security section to the spec

   A bit along the lines of the OpenID one
    http://openid.net/specs/openid-authentication-2_0.html#security_considerations
   Other good examples?
   We could discuss some of the issues Peter Williams has brought up such as denial of service attacks.

4. Tim Berners Lee joined

  Tim said a lot and I forgot a lot of what he said. So please help me fill this in, and I may have misremembered
  I asked what needs to be done to get towards a standard.
  Tim mentioned the writing of a charter would help. A full WG would:
     - need to develop interoperable test suites
     - we should make even clearer how WebID is meant to work with existing browsers
     - different webid profiles
     - ...
  There is nothing stopping us working on this before. The writing of a chatter would then get us feedback.

5. Mike Jones said he would work on a first version of the charter

6. We chatted with Wendy Seltzer on irc who just joined the W3C.
   http://wendy.seltzer.org/
   She has worked with TOR and Berkman centre.

7. We discussed some plans on how we are going to take over the word. But those are secret. 😁

Henry