RE: Matter of DN and what's possible

 SAN is the users name. SIA is the pointer to the describer resource - one of whose alternates predicate's values locates the place where the .cer blob can be picked up, with the right mime type(s). Another alternate can point to the PEM encoded blob . Another can point to the .p12 wrapped form of the same blob. Another can point to the .p7m and .p7c forms of the blob (located in cert stores). Another can point to signed SAML2 entitydescriptor, with a base64 encoded element within (containing the blob(s)). There is actually a choice. One could have different access methods in the cert SIA, one per . But, somehow, I feel the semantic web describer apparatus will do a better job (and drives the integration).