Re: Thankyou for saving my sanity...

On 1/8/12 2:49 AM, Henry Story wrote:

> On 8 Jan 2012, at 08:30, Peter Williams wrote:
>

>>  Peter williams (known in spanish as el stupido) believed the RDFa
>> last standard was finished ~2 years ago. we learn that , just as its
>> finally finally-finished, and its so finished just as its replacement
>> sort of goes live.
>
> rdfa in xhtml was finished.

Good point!

And xhtml != html .

So why shoehorn xhtml into html via horrible DOCTYPE hack the just
messes up everything?

HTML5 is implemented by all the browser players. Thus, why ignore this
hardcore consumer realm fact?

>>  Im used to this, game. Ive seen it before; more than once.
>
> indeed TLS v1.2 was also out years ago and is only being deployed now.
> Java 7 has it btw.
>

>> This is wny we in realty wait 3 more years, till the semweb is 15
>> year old.
>
> There are different adoption curves. NASA has been using it and so
> have the life sciences for a long time. Governemtns and universities
> are using it to publish data. Realty may who knows be the last to use
> it. Perhaps they never will.

Look, the problem is this, and I think many in the W3C already
understand and accept the fact that you don't prescribe standards. The
process of standardization should be retrospective with long term
preservation in mind.

WebID cannot be a prescription. It needs adoption by a broad range of
profile across academia and industry. From that emerges standardization
which also incorporates real world utilization patterns.

The WebID spec shouldn't be  a tool for fighting or prolonging
unproductive syntax wars. Doing that simply undermines the huge
opportunity at hand.

> Anyway, be that as it may. How easy would you find it to publish a
> turtle document and link to it? Most web sites allow one to publish
> images, so publishing a turtle document should not be beyond their
> ability.

What on earth does that mean in the real world? Linked Data developers
!= real world of consumers that want to publish claims about identities
in data spaces rented to them by the likes of wordpress, blogspot,
twitter, linkedin, facebook etc..

You have to play well with what exists. Alternative approaches are dead
on arrival.

I still don't understand why you just won't accept the reality of
Microdata and the benefits it brings to WebID by removing yet another
adoption and appreciation hurdle.

I need you to seriously convince me that you don't understand my point.
I just do not believe that you don't understand my point, I've known you
for way to long to believe that.

Kingsley

> [...]
>>

>> Yes, I agree. But then what are you going to propose as a solution to
>> Peter Williams? Microdata? But there is not RDF mapping for it that
>> is official, and so he would have the same problem of the project
>> working in some servers one way, and other servers another way.
>>

>>     You have no reason for not giving RDFa and Microdata equal
>>     billing re. WebID. Peter's consumer profile will work fine with
>>     Microdata as he will soon demonstrate. This is basically what
>>     we've long handled by working with AtomPub or "Cut and Paste" to
>>     blogs (e.g. WordPress, BlogSpot and others).
>>

>> Please help Peter Williams by publishing his data with the xhtml mime
>> type, and all will be done.   Or ask him to wait.
>>
>> But I agree this issue does have to be solved. Think of RDFa as being
>> in the spec with the caveat that those specs get finished and the
>> rdfa micro data wars get resolved. I can add a note on that subject
>> to the spec if you wish. Peter Williams seems to be very happy to
>> have a markup that works in html.
>>
>> Another solution is to have a link from the web page to a turtle
>> file. Perhaps Peter Williams can explore that option for us from a
>> consumer perspective - if we understand the type of link required.
>>
>> Henry
>>

>>     Links:
>>
>>     1.http://any23.org/-- Any23 converter that makes the RDF variant
>>     of eav/spo graphs from many syntaxes that includes Microdata
>>     (even better for you its Open Source and Java)
>>
>>     2.http://rdf-translator.appspot.com/-- ditto and it used RDFLib
>>
>>     3.http://rdf.greggkellogg.net/distiller-- ditto and Ruby based.
>>

>>     Kingsley
>>

>>             Kingsley
>>

>>                     Now, we have broken that rule, by requiring
>>                     something other than text/html.
>>
>>                     Now, as as consumer, I have no choice but to
>>                     subscribe to a SEMWEB-SPECIFIC identity
>>                     management system (like ODS). I cannot just use a
>>                     web page.
>>
>>                     Now, Im torn. For CONFORMANCE TESTING (and
>>                     debugging), I dont mind such literalism. For
>>                     products, I expect product to back off, insisting
>>                     on only 80% compliance (trading off security,
>>                     correctness for perfect compliance). I expect
>>                     product to do that which works (even if the
>>                     engineering quality goes down a bit).
>>

>>                     > Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 22:25:47 +0100
>>                     > From:j.jakobitsch@semantic-web.at
>>                     <mailto:j.jakobitsch@semantic-web.at>
>>                     > To:home_pw@msn.com <mailto:home_pw@msn.com>
>>                     > CC:public-xg-webid@w3.org
>>                     <mailto:public-xg-webid@w3.org>
>>                     > Subject: Re: Thankyou for saving my sanity...
>>                     >
>>                     > hi again,
>>                     >
>>                     > you now have "application/xhtml+xml" in a
>>                     meta-tag [1] like so
>>                     > <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
>>                     content="application/xhtml+xml;"/>
>>                     >
>>                     > this is very good, but only half the way.
>>                     > you need to set a header also, currently your
>>                     page presents itself to the parser still as

Founder&  CEO