Re: wot won Thing, asked W3C Identity Conference

On 7 January 2012 17:38, Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com> wrote:
> The identity conference hosted by W3C aksed folks to state one thing that
> could be done by all browser manufacturers, that makes a difference. The
> difference doesnt have to save this world. It just has to remove a disabling
> barrier.
>
> For me, its for ALL mainstream browsers to have something similar to that
> provided in IE8+: the "New Session" menu item. This is that which, in the
> SSL world, allows me to stay on the same site (e.g. WebID Realm) and change
> client certificate, without exiting the browser. (It may have other
> properties related to pseudo-privacy, too)
>
> With all mainstream browser others than IE8+, I have to exit the browser to
> use a differnt persona (and even all instances of the process, in some of
> the worst cases).
>
> With New Session I dont. I get a new brower window (with new tab set),
> enabled with new SSL client authn.
>
> This is worth having universally. WebID depends on it, I'd counsel.

IMHO the biggest game changer would be for browsers to become full
duplex, rather than client-server.

Identity (eg webid) and HTML can play a role in that.  There's a few
early prototypes out there already ... hopefully that's the direction
things will go to make the web more of the read/write P2P distributed
storage system that was originally envisaged.