RE: Thankyou for saving my sanity...

 The site presents its home page, with menu. Clicking the WithCertOnly option, it induces an SSL handshake challenge. IE responds with a client cert picker, given the way the SSL sessions have been signalled or cached in this run. The site/browser then show IE-produced javascript, which is a variant of that typically shown when first encountering an unknown server cert. Typically, such a screen is show before a cert picker for clients is ever displayed. This screen gives less options that that normal case (presented for any site offering non-locally-rooted server certs), not allowing one to proceed at all. The address bar show an http URI, while the javascript is executing. Such javascript is typically induced by the windows OS core SSL transport layer, client side. It is IE (or more likely plumbing apparatus in the library part of the OS) that generates such javascript, having registered handlers to deal with the events. This is the webby way of dealing with the issues found at the transport layer (courtesy of IETF, and its barmy ideas about https and its relationship to layer 4 signalling). _ There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority. The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).

More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting. When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.  > Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 14:11:29 +0100