Re: WebID equivalence

On 1/4/12 5:09 AM, Henry Story wrote:

There are many problems with regards to de-referencable URIs used as Names.

> I for one told him that I was looking into this but that I was first resting for the Xmas vacations. Notice how he kept banging on about this all through the holidays irrespective of the holidays, as if an issue could fix itself if he kept speaking about it. So now the holidays are over, I'll look into it. Let's get to the root of his problem before we go on more and more crazy hypothetical solutions to what may not be a problem at all.

I don't do hypothetical.

I do try share what I know works, but of course, I am learning to keep
quiet about that and now leave that to the "OpenLink competitive
advantage" box instead. Thus, expect far less sharing of what I know is
possible (post implementation) re. WebID.

Of course, I will certainly respond to Peter who's experiments I find
extremely valuable re. unveiling real problems that are the 101 entry
level items for the enterprise and industry grade implementors.

Kingsley

> [...]
>
>> An HTTP URI based Name combines makes deft us of the Name and Address roles and functionality of URIs, but that comes a the cost of intuition and the introduction of Name/Address disambiguation confusion and arguments as exemplified by httpRange-14.
>>
>> The Argument:
>>
>> Henry continues to claim that constructs like this are wrong re. X.509:
>>
>> 1. Subject: C=MY, ST=STATE, L=CITY, O=ONE INC, OU=IT, CN=www.example.com
>> 2. Subject: C=US, ST=Maryland, L=Pasadena, O=Brent Baccala,
>>                 OU=FreeSoft, CN=www.freesoft.org/emailAddress=baccala@freesoft.org
>> 3. Subject: C=US, ST=Maryland, L=Pasadena, O=Brent Baccala,
>>                 OU=FreeSoft, CN=MyOrganization Literal Label/emailAddress=baccala@freesoft.org .
> I am not sure if those are allowed or not, if they parse or what their use is. How does the above look in the UIs of each of the browsers, in the cert selection box?  Have you looked at that?
>>
>> My counter:
>>
>> They aren't wrong. And they provide a solution to the Name/Address ambiguity problem that comes with Linked Data when using HTTP URI based Names.
>>
>> As always, I am bringing attention to options that lower the barrier of entry re. WebID exploitation. Unfortunately, Henry is writing code and thinking about parsers first. That cannot be the prime concern here.
> No, I am thinking about User Interface, and standards. By inventing the least possible we can leverage as much work as possible out there. As soon as you invent a way of superposing semantics on other ways of doing things you create confusion - which is bad for linked data - and you create security holes. Watch the video "The science of insecurity" to see how doing that creates security holes
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEfedtQVOY
>
> The reason we are working with clear semantics is because this is a foundation of good security. Undermine the semantics and you undermine your security claims with it too.
>

>> Another way to grok the problem I am trying to resolve is the current state of affairs re. Peter's attempt to simply get consistent verification behavior across all WebID verifiers.
> Ah, ok. I see now what is driving you.  But that's a different issue. We have not at all worked out what Peter's problem is. So we first need to locate his problem, then see what the issue was, not fix whatever problem we can think of.
>

>> Sitting at the root of what seems to be a mercurial pursuit is the same old Name/Address ambiguity issue since HTTP URI based Names are implicitly unintuitive albeit extremely powerful.
>>
>> I desperately hope this is clearer.
> It is clearer. Let us solve Peter Williams' problem first. My suggestion, try to improve your test suite, and keep a log of everything that is going on your server when Peter Williams logs in: keep all the source received and the document sent to him. Then you have all the data locally and you can see where the issue is appearing.

Founder&  CEO