Interop and choice of languages was Re: comments to references

On 2011-10 -28, at 05:24, Dominik Tomaszuk wrote:

> My proposals to references in WebID spec:
> 1. section 2.1:
> "Alternate RDF serialization formats, such as N3 [N3] or Turtle [TURTLE], may be supported by the mechanism providing the WebID Profile document."

You have to make your mind up. For interop, either

-- Sender may send one of several formals in a set
-- Receivers must understand ALL formats in a set.

or

-- Senders will always send just one format
-- Receivers must understand that

which is obviously the degenerate case of the first.

> Most N3 documents is compatible with the Turtle (Turtle is subset of N3).

"Most" is a funny term. Some are, some are not.
They are probably many N3 more N3 documents which parse as turtle than that don't.
The question is whether you need the expressively to talk about graph values.
Currently one doesn't.

I think here two options are interesting, the set rdf/xml and turtle, and the set turtle only.
The advantage of turtle only is that it is actually what most people use,
it doesn't need and XML parser, and it is upgradable to N3 if you need to later.

> These simple solutions like WebID most used Turtle. I believe that there is no need to list here N3, especially when it is not a complete list of serializations. Additionally, RDF Working Group concludes that they will not standardize N3 (they focus on Turtle).

(Are they not doing graph serializations?)

> 2. section 2.1 - the same paragraph
> I propose to add RDF serbialization based on JSON. It is more
> It is often used in web environments. I propose RDF/JSON [1]. RDF/JSON is created by RDF Working Group.

No, and not PEM.  This just increases the implementation load, code size, and the security surface exposed.

> 3. I suggest to change Turtle references to more actual [2]

yes