Re: [foaf-protocols] Foaf-browser-app

On 5 Oct 2011, at 09:45, Sebastian Tramp wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 08:04:59PM +0200, Henry Story wrote:
>
>> While playing with the very cool Foaf-browser Android application
>> [1], I noticed that there are a couple of things that we need to
>> standardise to make that type of application seamless.
>
> Hi Henry,
>
> Since I see that you mix two of our projects, here short clarification:
>
> The project you described in the video is the Mobile Social Semantic
> Web Client (MSSW, [0]), a pure java android application, which is able
> to fetch your friends and integrate them with your local address book
> via jena rules (so it is extensible). thanks for creating this video -
> I've linked it on our project page. A more complete overview on the MSSW
> project is available here [1]. This project is stable in a sense that
> some of us use it on their own phones and integrate their FOAF world
> very well into our phones. It is also available on the android market
> (82 active installations at the moment)

Great. I think this should not be abandoned by the way, especially as the Android browsers don't support client side certificates very well I am told.  It is also a great platform for us on the WebID group, together with the RWW group to test out new WebID ideas which we cannot do from normal browsers. So for example one could try to implement the suggestions of Aza Raskins which we wrote mention in the paper "WebID in Browsers" [b1]  to allow users to see what identity they are logged in as.
These and many questions of identity will come up when we start having web servers that show private and public data.

> The second related project is the MobileDSSN project [3], which is a
> PhoneGap [2] based HTML5/javascript/+x project (where x is plattform
> specific integration code to be able to connect to the OS). Tim was very
> active recently on this project and we hope to put this project even
> further than the MSSW client. This project is currently not available on
> any platform but will be on the android market soon. In theory, we can
> also release it as a iphone app, but this is unknown terrain :)

I suppose this will in fact work as on the iPhone given the client certificate limitations on the browser.

> Both application are part of the AKSW Distributed Semantic Social
> Network (DSSN) initiative which tries to aggregate current technologies
> into a coherent architecture for DSSN. The most recent and complete
> description of this architecture is available at [4] and we will enhance
> the architecture based on the experience from the implementations.

very very interesting paper.
The only thing is I think the number of activities you put there per day is a bit low. I think you were going on your experience, but I think a normal user will have something more like the following:

  - like 6 posts of which at least a few cat pictures
  - reshare 1 or 2 posts a day
  - write a couple of small things to friends

Great work again. This is a key piece of work for a group such as this to try new protocols on.

Henry

> Best regards
>
> Sebastian Tramp
>
>  0. http://aksw.org/Projects/MobileSocialSemanticWeb