Re: Normative vs Informative

On 11/27/2011 08:38 AM, Mo McRoberts wrote:
> The rationale is that RDF/XML is the one serialisation — at present
> — guaranteed to be supported by RDF consumers, and that RDFa still
> has some way to go yet before it’s properly reconciled with the
> HTML5 parsing work. Until it is, any notion of error-handling
> (vitally important in real web pages) is going to be largely
> undefined.

This statement is false. How RDFa is processed via an HTML5-compliant
parser, including error-handling, is very clear and has been for some time.

HTML+RDFa has been spec'd against the HTML5 parsing model for over two
years now with no changes to the algorithm since the initial text was
placed into the document. The algorithm is pretty simple:

1. Create an HTML5 DOM using an HTML5-compliant parser.
2. Process the resulting DOM using an RDFa Processor.

This is outlined in the HTML+RDFa 1.1 Last Call spec, which can be found
here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-in-html/#modifying-the-input-document

This functionality was added two years ago, in 2009. It's the most sane
way to do it, so I don't expect the approach to change at all.

> What I’d like to see is the RDFa spec build upon the HTML5 parsing
> rules

It does. :)

> so that there’s clarity and consistency in how to deal with RDFa
> sprinkled into real-world “tag soup” pages

We have done this. :)

> AFAIK this hasn’t happened *yet*, and until it does I don’t think
> RDFa belongs as a MUST for WebID consumers in the spec as it is now.

It happened two years ago. :)

I hope this clears up the confusion surrounding RDFa in HTML4, HTML5,
XHTML1 and XHTML5. All of those host languages have clear rules on how
to extract RDFa from a document... even if the document is malformed or
the worst form of HTML tag soup you can imagine.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Standardizing Payment Links - Why Online Tipping has Failed
http://manu.sporny.org/2011/payment-links/