Re: long term webid of peter, contrary to rumour

On 15 November 2011 13:06, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/11 2:56 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>
> On 15 Nov 2011, at 02:21, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
> But Peter is saying: I want a commodity solution. One that lets people
> declare and rescind claims with the same degree of alacrity associate with
> posting a Tweet or making a Blog Post.
>
> We are building a spec to make a commodity solution possible.
>
> The current spec is too RDF specific. And as I said, RDF and commodity
> solution with high viral bootstrap potential is an oxymoron circa. 2011. The
> spec should end up with RDF being an option. Why does the spec stick with
> modulus and exponent (solely) when Fingerprints can also serve similar role
> re. claim mirror in IdP space? As I stated a while back, fixing WOT re.
> X.509 Certificate fingerprints is all that's needed to make this critical
> tweak workable, without disruption.
>
> We all want a commodity solution, but we differ on the pragmatics of the
> path to manifestation. I prefer to be non disruptive at the end-user level
> i.e., integrate with what's already in use rather than mandate a syntax
> oriented "rip and replace" solution.
>

> We have three commodity solutions currently, none of which he wants to use:
> data.fm, virutoso, fcns.eu.
>
> btw - its http://id.myopenlink.net/ods (an instance of ODS which is built
> using Virtuoso) that aligns with data.fm and fcns.eu .
>
> Peter has his end-user hat on. Thus, he should be seeking an unobtrusive
> solution that works with his existing setup. In this case Wordpress is the
> existing setup. It allows him to publish (make a blog post) and rescind
> (delete blog post) claims at will. No HTML+RDFa or any other RDF syntax
> exposure required.
>
> The only solution he wants to use is the one least likely to want to do
> anything in this space.
>
> You don't see middleware dimension of all of this. The Web is an integration
> platform extraordinaire, its middleware, and its already demonstrated why
> middleware works. Ripping and replacing existing infrastructure doesn't
> work, and if the WebID spec doesn't comprehend this reality it will simply
> remain confined to the esoteric box, devoid of mass uptake by those
> operating in the Web's 2nd dimension (Web 2.0).
>
> We have to build a bridge between Web 2.0 and 3.0. It has to be non
> disruptive in nature, and that comes from good design. The AWWW is great
> design, and it allows us to pull this off. We just need to fix the WOT
> ontology.
>
> He claims to have a WebID, yet after 2 years he should know what is required
> to have one. I have seen beginner students put those together faster and
> with more enthusiasm than Peter.
>
> Think of Peter as playing "devils advocate" with a pragmatic use case
> scenario in hand.

I agree with Kingsley's assessment that Peter is more "devils
advocate" than troll.  Personally, I enjoy reading his posts, but I
try to be as tolerant as possible, because I believe the web is all
about tolerance.

However, I would encourage peter to post to the most appropriate lists.

The W3C XG list is really geared towards those that attend telecons
and are following the W3C process, to complete the deliverables in the
charter on time (we only have a few weeks left).

Peter has said he has little interest in the IRC / telecons, so
perhaps posts are better directed to foaf-protocols or the rww
community group that does not require telecon.