Re: webid trust model, one or multiple?

On 5/1/11 2:37 PM, peter williams wrote:

> Is there one webid trust model, or are there to be multiple -- because
> the IX about standardizing "a framework" for trust overlays? If it's a
> framework, I see value in using logical description "enabling" trust
> metrics, generically. These can drive link chain discovery, as usual.
> It's criteria based search.
>
> Im trying to decide where to spend my time in the next three months.
> There is no point me being involved in something I don't believe will
> ever work (standardize a single trust metric). I might as well get out
> the way, if this is the group's mission.
>
> If it helps motivate the decision, a realworld user story of handling
> macro-trust issues -- at national scale - may be applicable.
>
> There is just no way I can impose a trust metric on my very local,
> de-centralized customer base -- as they network using the social web.
> They will quickly slap me down for even trying, let alone agree with
> any given proposal. They SEEK local variance in trust etc. It's what
> distinguishes their value, in the subtle "business social networking"
> scene found in selling real-estate to migratory populations, or as
> folks change lifestyle with age, income brackets, etc.
>
> The that scene, one sells trust in "gated communities" to one person,
> and one sells "iron bars on the windows" to another. Some communities
> measure trust in the absence of broken cars in the street, or absence
> of side-walks in country streets; and the realtor will project that
> value system. Trust, safety, confidence, and assurance are all variant
> terms, that get bandied around.
>
> Others communities have more divisive trust measures, often obliquely
> stated or enforced. Somehow the independent realtor as trusted agent
> has to mediate even these issues (which obviously requires  ALOT of
> social finesse).

This IG can't be about trust metrics. This IG is just about verifiable
identifiers used as WebID via the WebID protocol. That's it. Of course,
in our broader community of WebID application development and
utilization, trust metrics are very interesting. Naturally, this would
boil down to framework for domain specific trust metrics. We really
can't go beyond frameworks (ontologies) for constructing and expressing
domain specific trust metrics.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com