RE: Certificate Authorities under increasing spotlight

Ok. So the real policy issue is - ignoring a swap of bit bucket - that the
name scoping rules within X.509 certs (signed keys) should be turned on and
polished up globally - since they are rarely turned on or leveraged, outside
military user groups. Then, a CA cannot act outside the name scope of its
parent cert or its root registration record, without detection of that
scoping violation by operational agents (browsers). The root authority
sets/enforces the scope, by issuing signed scopes known as CA certs and
cross-certs. (SAML does the same thing essentially, using signed XML
metadata that again sets the audience limits of IDP agents, to govern the
assertion rewriting world)

For example, only Germany, France and UK can issue .com certs, with US being
banned.

Huh? Is that going to fly?

For hierarchical names (*.ac.uk, *.uk, *.us, *.ca.us) this is all in the
IETF X/509/PKIX standard and in Windows, awaiting community decision to turn
on the controls. It's politically fraught (since now 1000 CAs apparently
will all whine about their rights, and lost freedoms, and who know what
else). But, it's not a technological issue. Its politics, where it belongs.
Use DNS scopes, SAML scopes, or X.509 scopes, the politics is the same:
vendor compliance of the security standard, correct enforcement of the
control plane, authority recognition by CAs, and will to be governed by
another (a policy authority) in a trans-national world.

You can just hear Gilmore now: I will never be ruled by the US government
policy authority. You can just hear the US military: the worldwide root will
be on US soil, run by highly trusted intelligence officer soldier like
Manning. You can hgear the FBI, all roots will chain to us, so we have
"forensic integrity." In France, we will never accept a British root; or any
cert using English names. In NATO, we need to reissue everyone a new cert,
in parallel, since we are all transnational. In Canada, we think there
should be no roots, only cross-cert meshes at the top layer so everyone gets
along. In Thailand, we think all Postal office should be the CA. In Bahrain,
only certs for Sunnis; the other groups clean our bathrooms and don't need
certs to skivvy! In California, we won't accept a US GSA signing authority,
as we want to sign marriage license for gay folks (and the GSA cert wont
allow that use). In Georgia, we refuse to legally recognize the certs from
Maryland, as they wont accept our notarial documents.in court cases.

In the windows world, this can be sorted in 1 week. It can be done globally
in a week with windows update to distributed the revised signed root list
(this is how long it took to populate globally the revoked authorities
during a certain, infamous VeriSign compromise of Authenticode). It's all
waiting there, seeking community will to exploit the control plane of certs
(which are largely equivalent to the control plane proposed by DNS types)

One can use the basic constraints extension in CA certs, while we are at it.
This limits a CA powers to enable additional CAs

Any takers?  Good luck!

It's interesting that self-assertions and self-signed certs for webid, the
nice individual, decentralized webby world of self-managed foaf cards has
rapidly turned to policy on roots. But, then, it always does.

(for javascript coding DES/RSA, say, I meant simply serve the foo.js from an
https server populated with a high-assurance govt server cert) - which
speaks for its integrity. If two servers share foo.js and foo1.js with each
other, one simply implements a "next layer up" SSL message exchange using
the javascript., free of policy controls like CA name scopes, etc.