Re: in 20 words each, can someone summarize the recent face to face meetings?

On 5 June 2011 01:00, Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com> wrote:
> 20 words on what happened at the US gatethering of the great and the good in
> the (national)  identity scene?

missed it

> 20 on what happened in webid work in Berlin, with perhaps another 20 for
> stuff about federated social networking?

Henry did a grand job of evangelising. I only caught bits of webid
sessions, most dev work seemed to be about scoping: what should be the
MUSTs/SHOULDs in the spec, which use cases are reasonable to consider,
edge cases etc.

There are vids of the talks here:
http://d-cent.org/fsw2011/videos/

some blogging:
http://www.augmentedcitizen.org/federated-social-web-berlin-2011-fsw2011-day

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/FSW2011-Auf-der-Suche-nach-dem-datenschutzfreundlichen-Netz-1255206.html

> what were the 3 big takeaways, each reduced to a two sentence elevator
> pitch?

for me -

1. many of the folks most active in the Federated Social Web space
(e.g. Diaspora) were basically unaware of related Semantic Web/Linked
Data efforts

2. WebID is hard to explain in one sitting - only a certain proportion
got the idea right away, a large proportion of those people couldn't
believe it Just Works

3. A lot of people are interested

(and intense, yes - I still haven't quite recovered and wasn't even presenting)

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name