RE: Browser ID + all clientside JS WebID

The webid group long had their own assertion format, a trivial signed redirect querystring. ONe authenticates using the webid protocol to one agent (perhaps known as an IDP), which does "token converstion' changing the clietn cert _ lookup of foaf card into a trivial signed assertion. Using browserID to do this transformation... is a obvious win-win. I dont think anyine in the webid community is particularly tied to the (trivial) signed URI convention. Obviously, the asserting party (having just done webid validation) can ALSO do emial-verification, should it wish. I AM willing to buy into the value of yet another blob format (signed json, this year). Without any doubt, the W3C in the xml-dsig (and OASIS in the application xml-dsign to signed SAML requests for websso and web services), made things really complex. Arguably, they did a worse job than the ASN.1 group did, back in 1986, doing the same thing. Since lots of scripting sites are now just doing trivial coding to accept such XML signed tokens (ignoring most of the security rules, and doing trivial string parsing for the attributes, sent over SSL), one might as well go downmarket FORMALLY, and have trivial signed blobs, of serialized objects. If we are going to go low end, we might as well have standardized low-end. signed SWT vs sgiend JSON? might aswell be JSON, for max interoperability, since lots of developers struggle to parse XML, even 10 years in.