Re: WebID-ISSUE-11 (bblfish): define an inverse of cert:identity [ontologies]

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM, WebID Incubator Group Issue Tracker <
sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> WebID-ISSUE-11 (bblfish): define an inverse of cert:identity [ontologies]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/track/issues/11
>
> Raised by: Henry Story
> On product: ontologies
>
> A proposal for a definition of a relation from the agent to the public key
> that is the inverse of cert:identity.
>
> It seems like it should be more natural to have a relation from an agent to
> a number of his public keys.
> Home pages usually have the main topic being a person, and then will list
> his public keys. Currently the cert identity relation needs to be specified
> for each key in notations like rdf/xml or turtle. There one must write
> things like
>
> [] a rsa:RSAPublicKey;
>  rsa:modulus 123123123...;
>  rsa:public_exponent 55000;
>  cert:identity :me.
>
> [] a rsa:RSAPublicKey;
>    rsa:modulus 34958345...;
>    rsa:public_exponent 55000;
>    cert:identity :me .
>
> Whereas it could be done more nicely with
>
> :me cert:publicKey [  rsa:modulus 123123123...;
>                                     rsa:public_exponent 55000 ],
>                                  [  rsa:modulus 34958345...;
>                                     rsa:public_exponent 55000 ] .
>

> It is true that in rdfa one can use the rel="inverse" construct to get the
> same effect.
>
> The definition would look something like this
>
> :public_key a rdf:Property;
>    vs:term_status "unstable";
>    rdfs:label "public_key"@en;
>    owl:inverseOf :identity;
>    rdfs:comment """
>      a relation from an agent to a public key for which he alone has
>      the private key. This public key identifies that agent, allows him
>      to decrypt messages sent to him with that key, and is able to sign
>      messages with it too.
>    """ ;
>   rdfs:domain foaf:Agent;
>   rdfs:range :PublicKey .
>
> The cert:identity relation could be deprecated.
>
> What should the relation be called. Something shorter probably.

I think the name cert:publicKey is not so bad, and it is generic enough to
cater for any key (not only RSA, but could be DSA etc).

I've made a proposed change to the spec which you can view at [1]. The code
is in my github repository in the branch cert-identity-rev [2]. The main
commit is [3].

Steph.

[1]
http://files.openspring.net/tmp/webid-cert-identity-rev/spec/index-respec.html