Re: Browser ID, WebID & URLs

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 05:49:54 +0200
Cc: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>, dev-identity@lists.mozilla.org, WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
To: Tom Scavo <trscavo@gmail.com>

On 18 Jul 2011, at 03:46, Tom Scavo wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Ben Adida <ben@adida.net> wrote:
>>
>> We're
>> pursuing an experiment to see if our hunch  that web sites just want
>> an email address  is right.
>
> Yes, and an interesting experiment it is, too.

agree.

>> Private exchange of an email address is privacy-
>> protecting. Exposing a public profile is not. Thus, the public profile
>> should be the optional component.
>
> An e-mail address is not privacy preserving. It is a globally unique
> identifier that is correlatable across relying parties. Thus your
> conclusion does not hold. The identifier would have to be opaque and
> per-RP for your argument to make sense.

A lot of people don't want to get into spam registries. The privacy
advantage of http URLs is that you can send e-mails using them. So
one could argue that http URLs are more privacy enhancing :-)

>> Logging in does not require long-lasting keys.
>
> Agreed.

A question on short keys - this is probably something I have not fully understood.
But if the keys are short lived, don't you have to go back to your e-mail provider
constantly to create new keys? If so is that not a Usability nuisance?

Henry