Re: Browser ID

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:12:10 +0200
To: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Cc: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
On 16 July 2011 23:15, Ben Adida <ben@adida.net> wrote:

> So let me suggest something else: why not base WebID on BrowserID? You can
> WebFinger the email address, find the profile, and bootstrap anything else
> you want on top of that profile.

Nicely crystallized, but as you'll no doubt guess, I disagree :) An
extra round trip to an extra service no less, all for the sake of a
dozen or two chars.

> Since it's clear that everyone has an email address, but not everyone has a
> public profile, that direction makes more sense, I think.

Ok, I'll accept your arguments for why BrowserID MUST include a
person's email address (and am starting to think it may be good as a
SHOULD for WebID), but given that a significant proportion of Web
users do have profiles (and that proportion will undoubtedly
increase), I see no reason to exclude the possibility that it also MAY
include a URI - direct to user's URI, their profile, homepage (which
allows autodiscovery) or OpenID - all of which offer ways of
discovering more information. One small step offers compatibility with
loads of other systems, what's not to like?

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name