RE: WebID-ISSUE-15: Native browser-based WebID-only certificate display

dont forget SSL v1 and v2 was not defined by "security experts"  (tajar excepted). It was pretty average programmers, taking the best of a long and winding (and ever winding) thread of discussion on IPsec lists and doing something similar behind a socket - suiting https, nntps and other hypermedia type interactions (which was the novelty, in the driving requirement set). it didnt even have client certs, originally (it assumed https was going to be carefully aligned with http and webauth headers). It was really only the addition of DH ciphersuite that forced the handshake to evolve, to need client certs and then exploit the differing properties of the key management primitives in each class of handshake. NSA pushed both Netscape and Microsoft further, by making folks understand the fortezza variety of handshake (which basically put the first ephemeral component into the mix).

At the same time as SSL v2 was making its case, Alan/Eric's S-HTTP was out there setting the contrast point, with quite a different delivery concept (and broadly doing what eventually we do in the form of ws-trust - now powering the microsoft identity framework for SOAP, and power REST via its WRAP incarnation). I remember the meeting to this day when Schiffman (funded by DARPA at that point, as I recall) did what a public researcher does - outlining his slightly biased case for his proposal, without denying the alternative against which he contrasted each design point. One appeals to the audience, and one accepts their judgement. The audience in thse days was the great and good of the Menlo Park set, lynchpinned by DEC if I recall right.

Ive found key management design to be a distibuted process not a complicated process, having watched 10 of them (including more than one half-secret one).

None of this requires buyin to the "super secret" world, mystical subservience to super special, highly spooky james bond style defense contractors types, with secret, hidden knowledge spaces. What those folks do offer (and MUST) bring to this table (once they get the buzz) is the experience of how not to screw up (since they remember the last 30 screw ups). But, its little more than : just dont do THAT. here is some patterns that get you to at least 80% assurance, quick. To work with them, just listen and do SOME of it, where some gets bigger each trimester.