Documenting implicit assumptions?

From: Benjamin Heitmann <benjamin.heitmann@deri.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:09:29 +0000
To: public-xg-webid@w3.org
Hello,

the people in this incubator group come from different organisations and have different motivations and goals
for participating. So I was wondering if it might make sense to start documenting some (currently) implicit
assumptions (or requirements) about a future WebID standard, or at least flagging those assumptions for discussion.

As a start, I want to repeat something which has been stated in WebID-ISSUE-6:

* a single user can have more then one certificate attached to a single WebID URI ("multiple SSL certs for one identity")

It might be an interesting exercise to figure out more implicit assumptions / requirements, document and discuss them,
to figure out if there is a decision attached or if something is actually out of scope.

Here are two implicit assumptions I have noticed:

* the list of friends which is published together with a WebID is assumed to be public
(alternative: in order to participate in a web of trust, a WebID user has to make a part of his list of friends public)

* the RDF which is returned when accessing a WebID is assumed to be public

Are these two assumptions widely agreed on? Because if not, provisions are required in order to allow the deviation from these assumptions.

Equally importantly: Are there other assumptions which need to be documented?

cheers, Benjamin.