WebID-ISSUE-13 (bblfish): Develop a logic of trust

From: WebID Incubator Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:32:16 +0000
To: public-xg-webid@w3.org

WebID-ISSUE-13 (bblfish): Develop a logic of trust

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/track/issues/13

Raised by: Henry Story
On product:

It would also be good to have a serious logic of trust.

This cannot be a deliverable, as it is certain to be a huge academic undertaking. But one could start
with some very useful rules of thumb. With enough such rules one could start to work out what a minimal trust logic is going to be.

So say I trust <http://friends.va/jesus#me> for a particular  task, or to access certain specific resources.  Someone logs into my server I don't know, proving he is<http://judas.com/#me>
with a claim in his Profile  that

<http://judas.com/#me> owl:sameAs <http://friends.va/d/judas#x>.

Should I believe it? Well not like that, if I care at all. But if
   http://friends.va/d/judas
says

   <http://friends.va/d/judas#x> owl:sameAs <http://judas.com/#me> .

And if it happens that <http://friends.va/jesus> (the document) states that

@prefix rel: <http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/>

<http://friends.va/jesus#me> rel:closeFriendOf	<http://friends.va/d/judas#x>.

Then I have confirmation of the relationship I need to give access.