Facebook moves to HTTPS

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:21:51 +0100
To: WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
Kingsely Idehen made me aware that Facebook will be moving to HTTPS
by tweeting the article
"Zuckerberg's Page Hacked, Now Facebook To Offer "Always On" HTTPS"

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/zuckerbergs_facebook_page_hacked_and_now_facebook.php

probably due to the bad publicity of tools such as Firesheep.

A Google Employee posted some information a little while ago on how
to why SSL server side was no longer a problem in "Overclocking SSL"

http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html

Peter Williams on the foaf-protocols mailing list shortly had an
argument how Google's trick could be useful for WebID, but also
an argument why he thought it was bad. I did not go into that
discussion at the time, as I thought this forum would be a better
place to have it.

  So this is a note that we should look into this in more detail here.

  Peter if you can copy your argument as a response to this mail, that
would be helpful.

Henry

PS. I have added the Facebook link to the FAQ
 http://esw.w3.org/Foaf%2Bssl/FAQ#Is_SSL_not_really_expensive_server_side_to_Process.3F_To_expensive_for__Google_.3F