Re: Web Object Encryption and Signing (WOES) at IETF

Got to study modern tls sockets this week, in which winsock interceptors "add security semantics" to the channel (tls or dtls).

Designed for corporate markets, the browser is largely sidelined. The browser pretends to the user that she is talking to site x (though she is not.) Data flows are inspected at the inspection point, malware signatures evaluated at wire speed of 40gbps, and tls sidechannels (custom record layer protocols) used to exchange  sideband signals between inspector and trusted desktop security agent - since the browser is treated as an untrustworthy system component, in general (being designed for webiness).

Of course the goal here is in part to redefine webiness to define a relevant browser assurance, that helps redefine the moribund trust research space (full with reputation, trust, threat, dossier  based conceptions based on metric theory).

Webid had to define a new relevant space that originates new secure communication modes at (huge) scale, rather than just reimplement old protocols with new syntaxes.

My gut goes with connectionless https, with gdoi style key management (in signed canonical json or x509 certs, I could care not a jot which - unless legacy browsers are to be addressed).