Re: WebID-ISSUE-31 (webidOnSSH): WebID over SSH? [research]

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:47:19 +0100
To: WebID Incubator Group WG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
It is very likely that one can do this. But with SSH the use case is going to be a lot less appealing that with https, for the following reasons:

 - the SSH use case is client server whereas the https use case is peer to peer.
     The interest of WebID on https is that one can login to a distributed social network, of friends of one's friends one has never yet met. https is base on HTTP a RESTful protocol that has been architected for the Web: that is for a declarative peer to peer network.
     What use cases can one imagine where connecting to one's friends machines using SSH would be useful? And where this should be done in a very flexible way?

 - User friendliness/market share
     HTML is a very widely used format that has proven its peer to peer capabilities and that is easy to use, and is used by billions.
     SSH is used by developers, a small fraction of the human population, and will in all likelyhood remain that way

   So I think we need more use cases to justify the whole group spending a lot of time on this.

   I suppose this is going to be fun, so people will try it anyway. I may well do.