>From my perspective, as someone who held the power of the patent in my hands for a year and got to set the very mindset of those around me who were mostly clueless on the politics of asymmetric key management (certs), what I chose to do was NOT know better than civil society. I those chose to put into the hands of folks the instruments to choose their own trust management instruments - knowing these would surely evolve and change, and need to address several communities with apparently opposite goals. The mantra was: "open systems". I was higihly influenced by a notion common in the windows world, called the moniker; that may be worth understanding as a concept. It helps reduce trust<->naming relations to something practical, and not introduce too much DEPENDENCY.

From: henry.story@bblfish.net
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:08:47 +0100
CC: home_pw@msn.com
To: public-xg-webid@w3.org
Subject: Re: browser change; little, nothing or a lot?

On 12 Feb 2011, at 10:45, Henry Story wrote:

On 12 Feb 2011, at 02:24, peter williams wrote:

Define a new cert-type like PGP did (hello extension..)

   Could be useful, but clearly independent of the UI issue. There would be a big format war to decide there, and it's not clear what the advantage is going to be, apart from reduction of bugs due to ASN.1 parsing problems. So here I think there needs to be a lot more work done finding the benefits. My guess is that this should be done after wide deployment of WebID, because then the advantages of what should go into such a certificate will be a lot more obvious.

Much more important than cert-type in my view will be implementation of the results of the IETF keyassure group in the browser.

See their first draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-protocol-04

That will make it much easier to deploy https on the server, and have a lot of other security advantages, that will be obvious to browser vendors quite apart from the needs of WebID.