Re: Question: User Story -- Bootstrapping Facebook

On 10 February 2011 02:30, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2011, at 02:13, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
>>> But really it could also be
>>>
>>>  http://facebook.com/alice/2xcvlslgdfs/1234l/sskdfhsdfjhsjflsjdfl
>>>
>>> if the WebID is
>>>
>>>  http://facebook.com/alice/2xcvlslgdfs/1234l/sskdfhsdfjhsjflsjdfl#someone
>>
>> So am I right to say this is a "non information resource"?
>
> yes, we usually don't think of documents as being agents.
>
>> This is since facebook dont use fragment identifiers, and there may be
>> a multi year lead time (if ever) before they do.
>
> Why is this a problem?  Why does this hypothetical Facebook not use fragment identifiers? Do they have to? Will they always be stuck with that? What will Facebook look like in three years?

This is my question.  Is it a problem that they dont currently use
fragments.  And can we easily can get around that?

I cant comment on why they built their platform the way they did, what
they will roll out in future, or in what time line.

But I'm interested in the short medium term, to see how easily
compatible WebID is with their EXISTING setup?

Right now everyone is developing for the FB platform due to the
network effect.  If we can have a hybrid system that easily manages
WebID and Facebook account, I can see people using it (I would at
least).

> Sorry, there are just too many hypotheticals in your question to make it possible to give any clear answer. There are many simple solutions to their problem. They could use redirects for example, if they don't like # urls.
>
> If they are interested in WebID, perhaps we should invite them directly, then we could answer their questions with more context....

I think they would be good people to talk to, yes, if it's possible to
get them more interested.  It's the dominant social eco system on the
web.  I know from SWXG telecons that David Recordan has at least heard
of WebID, so that's a start...