Re: WebID-ISSUE-18: Transfer Protocol Independence [WebID Spec]

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 10:18 +0000, WebID Incubator Group Issue Tracker
wrote:
> The WebID Protocol currently defines and constrains the usage of WebID
> to the HTTP transfer protocol, however TLS is a /transport/ protocol
> which can be used with multiple /transfer/ and /application/
> protocols.

While the current draft does define it for HTTP-over-TLS, I don't think
it *constrains* it. There's nothing to stop people using WebID with
other protocols, we just don't explain how to do it. (I think people
have experimented with WebID and XMPP-over-TLS.)

This is similar to how RDFa was initially defined in XHTML. Yahoo
started promoting RDFa in Atom almost immediately.

There are advantages to limiting the scope of the definition, at least
initially. Many of the RDFa Working Group's current issues resolve
around where the border between RDFa 1.1 and its various host languages
lies.

If we can avoid some of that by saying we define it only for HTTPS, then
great. We could add a note saying something along the lines of "This
document defines an authentication technique for HTTPS. The same
principles could be applied to other TLS-secured protocols, though how
to apply these principles to those protocols is not covered in this
document."

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>