RE: WebID-ISSUE-10 (bblfish): Hash URLs for Agents [ontologies]

Ive got two choices:

1. I can put an ldaps URI in a self-signed cert used for the SSl client auth, and have the webid protocol at the resource server pingback against the denoted activeDirectory entry (particularly easy these days since Clouds like "Azure" support stretched vlans (using VPNs) linking at the subnet level a tenant's pool of servers and the enterprise LAN hosting ldap server pool)

2. I can adopt the semantic web, https URIs, hash URLs for Agents, and foaf cards based initially on marking up good ol' home pages.

In the case of ldaps, its really easy to engineer a solution, this month. All my users (realtors) already have a directory entry. Storing an ldaps URI in the SAN URI field of their already existing cert is easy. A resource server on being presented with the ldaps claim from a subject, post ssl client auth, can easily use the explicity query in the claim to locate in the directory entry the stored cert; and then compare public keys from the ssl client cert with that from the directory entry. The users access control rules drive resource access decisions. This is a variation of what Lotus Notes did, in 1977. It just scale bigger. Patent risk, small; its so old.

Or, I can try to do the same with the semantic web. There has to be a compelling and big picture rationale to make it more than 10% more complicated than the competition, summarized above.

Now, Im taking it on faith , for now, that the semantic web offers something more than the ldaps example. When I cut to the chase, folks are alluding to 3 things as reflected in the webid protocol design elements:

its necessary that there exist PPDs addressed by the http URI
its necessary that there is a relationship between the PPD and a graph within, addressed by the http URI and its anchor tag
its necesary in the design of the cert ontology (that co-designs the sparql query to be run by the resource server) that "logical subtleties" in PPDs, inner graphs, URIs stems  and URL anchors tags, are taken into consideration.

What I cannot determine is if anyone is claiming that these "logical subtelties" are "security enforcing".

Security enforcing is a technical term: to make the claim that X is security enforcing one must define what contribution the feature provides in either assurance or strength terms to the security enforcing function (SEF) one must name (or define).

Classical https with client auth (plus PKI for key authentication) provides the SEF of "peer entity authentication". The PKI component provides the supporting SEF of "[asymmetric] key distribution."

I see 2 choices.

1. The theory of "hash URLs for Agents" could make statements about the peer entity authentication SEF -  that the features above individually or collectively contribute to the security enforcing property. With this this claim made, individually or collectively the features must explain their contribution in terms of their assurance quality or the strength quality, or

2. we dont even WANT to do ]option 1 - which is all about SSL and  the world of "communications security". What folks may be wanting to do is claim is that there exists a world of "SEFs" (a term to be defined, in a semweb "assurance" vocab yet to be invented) that is unique to the semantic web. Is all about logical consistency and compleness of profile and facts, in a linking medium; and has nothing to do with the silly SSL handshake, really. The SSL handshake is to the webid protocol what HTTP is to the semantic web: a supporting medium dealing with bit transfers or proofs about key control.

If I comment, this project gets even more fascinating if option 2 is chosen. If folks were to first understand the formalism of the security engineering discipline for the likes of SSL and then, noting that the traditional scope of that discipline is far too narrow for our purposes here, Id guess that folks here have the wherewithall to expressed assurnace in terms of particular proofs of logical completeness and correctness or properties thereof - and these would be repeatable in actual protocol runs. The proof and the run would be one and the same thing... One doenst analyse a protocol run after the event, once recast into the terms terms of analytical formulae ( a la Birrel, Needham and lots of others); one just sends the formulae on the wire. The security of the webid protocol run is the logical completeness etc property, evidenced there and then; per run