Re: Another Translator for RDF

From: Mo McRoberts <mo.mcroberts@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:14:28 +0000
Cc: <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "public-xg-webid@w3.org" <public-xg-webid@w3.org>, <imitko@openlinksw.com>
To: Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com>

On 30 Dec 2011, at 06:59, Peter Williams wrote:

> I think I have just learned (and im leaping here) that there is just like in C++ a magic #fragment name called "this". I dont have a literal in my stream named #this, though - any more than I have such a literal in C++ structure. OK. Wonderful. That makes sense (by analogy with C++). I now have a way to always name what is otherwise an address (causing endless fuss).

No; #this isnít magic ó indeed, having a fragment at all isn't magic (you can claim to be a resource if you really want to, but you usually donít want to). What you pick as your fragment (to differentiate things from resources) doesnít matter, so long as youíre consistent about it for that thing.

Iím a tad confused ó I guess Iíve missed a message somewhere ó looking at:

http://yorkporc2.blogspot.com/

Öyouíre consistent about using <http://yorkporc2.blogspot.com/#me> as your identifier.

Looking at:

http://rdf-translator.appspot.com/parse?url=http%3A%2F%2Fyorkporc2.blogspot.com%2F&of=n3&html=1

Iím not seeing any incidence of 'this' in the N3 ó itís exactly as in the RDFa:

@prefix ns1: <http://yorkporc2.blogspot.com/#> .

ns1:me a foaf:Person; ...

Öwhich expands to:

<http://yorkpc2.blogspot.com#me> a foaf:Person ; ...

I can't see why you'd want to use '#this' with either of those resources.

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space,
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/