Re: Important Question re. WebID Verifiers & Linked Data

On 12/22/11 12:10 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2011, at 17:55, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 12/22/11 11:32 AM, Jiří Procházka wrote:
>>> let the WebID core specification
>>> be abstract, based on Linked Data ideal, not requiring specific format,
>>> then have a separate specification aimed at interoperability and
>>> adoption, specifying restrictions such as
>> If you are suggesting the above, then I am in violent agreement with you!
> Yes, we had that this summer and nobody on this list did anything then. Jiri do you have
> a WebID implementation of any kind?
>
>> There's no harm in having complimentary implementation guides for RDF/XML, RDFa, Microdata, Turtle.
>>
>> TimBL's design issues note (*original version*) for Linked Data is a classic example of an implementation guide for publishing Linked Data at InterWeb scales, courtesy of AWWW exploitation :-)
>>
>> Henry: RDF and SPARQL specificity was added retrospectively.
> You mean RDF/XML specificity. People here seemed to be quite happy with it
> SPARQL is not required. Look at the text it has 2 paragraphs on how you can do the same without SPARQL.
>
> Just a few moments ago you were saying how turtle is great because it has sparql which is like turtle.

And you clearly just don't understand where I am coming from.
Just  because I am not selfish about RDF/XML you think I have something
against it. Do you have any idea how much RDF/XML we exploit in our
products? Do you have any idea how much SPARQL we exploit? Non of that
matters re. the fundamental points I am trying to make with regards to a
spec that has the Web as its target.

Perform the following against the resource returned to you when you
de-reference the URI: http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data :

1. look at the footer
3. run it through a URI debugger or cURL.

That's SPARQL driving Linked Data in the most dynamic way.

Again, this is about the sanctity of abstraction. Linked Data is based
on AWWW. AWWW is great abstraction devoid of leakage. WebID is either
compliant with Linked Data principles and the sanctity of AWWW of it isn't.

Please make up your mind.

> Henry
>
>> Links:
>>
>> 1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html -- TimBL's Linked Data Design Issues Note.