Re: Important Question re. WebID Verifiers & Linked Data

On 12/21/11 12:55 PM, Mo McRoberts wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2011, at 17:47, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> I used to think so until Henry expressed questionable suggestions about URI handling that breaks the abstraction re. WebID verifiers.
> I’m think it was actually Peter initially, but I could be wrong; Henry just revisited the issue, and took a safe (from a security perspective, if broken from a web arch angle) default position.
>
> I’m not sure why that prompted this whole thread. Just saying “redirection (and indirection!) are a fundamental part of web architecture, we just need to settle on how they’re handled from a security perspective” would’ve been a perfectly decent answer to Henry’s question…
>
> M.

Here is how I would frame a security problem (something I've done in the
past).

An owl:sameAs relation exists in a graph somewhere along the
de-reference trails. A verifier follows the link and finds match. Or
said verifier applies inference and makes a union and then gets a match.
In either case, one deftly placed relation have tipped the apple cart.

Solution: implementers of WebID verifiers have to factor in crawl depths
and relation semantics. Suggestion could go as far as seeking signed
claims for specific relations. BTW -- this doesn't have to be part of
the WebID spec, it's just a note for engineers.

The ultimate challenge for WebID is this, you are going to have
variation re. product quality. That's fine, a spec can't control actual
engineering, it can only provide the specs for the act of engineering.

The Internet was broken security wise before the WWW came along. WebID
has a great shot of fixing this problem, but it really has to understand
and honor the age-old practice known as separation of powers.

The WebID spec shouldn't be about encouraging implementations that are
fundamentally technology Camels -- the usual product of attempting
innovation by committee. A spec must sit distinct from implementation
engineering.

Founder&  CEO