RE: comments on draft

david's comments are all very sensible for one thinking in either of two older traditions: the original CA tradition of the 1986/88 authentication framework, and the post-2000 PKI-interpretation of CAs. However, webid is not limited to either of those traditions. webid validation does not presume that the validator is a certificate-using system (to use a phrase from the PKI world).

For example, a conforming system may not bother verifying the signature on a client cert. A conforming system may ignore a criticial extension that it does not recognize. PKIX rules on what RDN components are mandatory in subject names do not hold, for conformance. in short, webid is not a certificate using system. If one uses an https PGP ciphersuite and one presents a PGP certificate type to the webid validation code, an extended system is entirely proper and consistent with the model to use it to establish the user had control of the key performing client authn. If one presents no cert (s) from the user from the the wire, again this is entirely appropriate. it is entirely appropriate for the server endpoint to discover its own cert token (that authenticates the keys used to do client authn for the ssl ciphersuite). Nothing (in the spec) says that client authn MUST be performed using RSA signatures (on the cert verify message). In this spec, it is quite appropriate to consider the SAN in a signed DH cert; one without signature key usages.

If there is a required issuer name, remember that nothing requires that it be controlled by any one large CA in the sky. There can be a million such CAs all asserting that their subjekct name is that value (and that they are one of the issuers, citing that name). David may have misunderstood this signal. The rest of the name was intended to signal that- since the rest of the name says to a human: I am NOT A CA.

Its inappropriate in THIS spec to suggest particular normative models of authorization. The spec should merely say that semantic web technologies are required (e.g. foaf groups, foaf accounts, foaf openid) - since they are consistent with the validation theory underlying webid.
 concerning "Why do you assert that “People don’t feel comfortable authenticating to a web site on the basis of a certificate alone…..” Where is your evidence for this?" we should ask for evidence of the opposite. After 20 years of doing this, the number of people doing cert-based authentication to websites on the internet is very small. This is becuase in general cert-based auth works poorly, due to the presence of SSL firewalls that bridge security domains (and cannot project cert authentication forward, due to the nature of the SSL3+ handshake design) This is all relevant to webid though, as it also speaks to webid adoptability.