Re: default hashtags

Saml2 folks believe that the session controls the web app. It's not an authoritative hint (that makes users lives better) its an entire architectural vision - that no one uses outside of us/uk academia.

Imagine that a site has 2 login method: traditional local challenge, and websso. On first visit, websso users have to pass the local challenge to show control over the account name that some party now authoritatively binds to the websso subject name. This can be avoided the next visits, since the lookup can cue off the same websso subject name. Perhaps 5 websso names bind to the localid.

Some folks believe that the websso token controls the web app session. Ie the previous model should be disallowed, being impure. If the token expires without being renewed the authn guard at the webapp must closes the http channel. The web app and the Idp are closely coupled that is.

Others say that all that happened is that the same session/name/token was merely translated. It boots a local session at the webspp, managed no differently to a session minted by traditional challenge. The saml subject (read webid uri) once validated is a way of avoiding the local password challenge (and nothing more). It's a loosely coupled system.

Openid made the error that folks would now go redesign apps to leverage the uri, tightly coupling webspp design to Openid/uri (vague) semantics. They don't. They just use it to session translate in practice, and map names (trivially) between autonomous systems.

I suspect this group will make the same error as early Openid, assuming that webid auth is more than a mapping of subject names. Folks will probably get very religious on how "true" webid powered apps will now leverage the uri in ways beyond that linking interpretation. Though I don't object to such value add (;it look great research), let's wait and see and watch how those who just do webid validation (and linking names to traditional foaf:accounts ) will be somehow labelled as incomplete, lacking, having inappropriate architecture, etc.

Ok off to study something new.

Sent from my iPhone