Re: default hashtags

On 2 Dec 2011, at 23:03, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> On 12/2/11 4:41 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>

>> your isse was you said you had a the following urls
>> http://yorkporc.blogspot.com/
>> http://yorkporc.blogspot.com/#
>> http://yorkporc.blogspot.com/2011/11/2uri.html#me
>>
>> So whichever ones satisfy the query is the one the server can use to identify you, including all three if they all verify.
> Yes, but when we have a world of verified WebIDs the next step is to do something. That's when ambiguity runs wild, as you know.

The semantic web manages to push back many kinds of ambiguity, more so than most other systems. Formally there is no ambiguity in  RDF.  But really all languages are evolving systems, and since we all have different background beliefs, and desires, people will come to different conclusions even when given the same information. But this topic is a really hard topic, and not one to broach casually.

David Lewis has a very good set of papers one of which is called Language and Languages where he studied what a language is mathematically, and how even mathematical objects such as that can evolve. Essentially there are an infinite number of languages that fit our linguistic behaviour. We choose from time to time to select some terms in a certain way, and thereby we all narrow down among the possible languages we were speaking.

It is important to understand that this does not mean that everything goes. In his analysis of convention David Lewis starts with the convention of driving on the right hand side in France and the US as an example. Now there are some very good reasons to continue driving on the right hand side, if everyone around you is driving that way. Words and URLs get their meaning in similar ways.

So those were just some pointers to serious philosophical works in the space of meaning.

But you are right, if one has a few WebIDs one then has do something with them. I would start simple there, and see how things go as we move along. As we see issues in our interaction we will then establish rules to help us along. But there is no point restricting the space before hand.

Perhaps that is the greatest thing about David Lewis : his way of never closing doors, and leaving as many possibilities open.