Re: web-id starter question

Hi Jürgen,

   thanks for participating. The two services foafssl.org and webid.fcns.eu are identity providers
to make things easier to set up for servers that do not have ssl. The author of the fcns.eu service is currently on vacation, and I am working on improving foafssl.org - which currently has an issue.

 Those two services build on webid, though in the end it is best to implement webid directly,
to avoid going through third parties.  Those extra protocols would best be discussed on the foaf-protocols mailing list for the moment.

   There is no reason for example why one could not use an openid based protocol instead of what we are using. Perhaps that would be a better idea.

   I am really hoping to have an improved version of foafssl.org out really soon.

On 2 Aug 2011, at 14:56, Peter Williams wrote:

>  I think we should be careful about associated with the term webid any idp/rp interaction, and any assertion format - even one often used.
>
> Why? becuase there is zero about it in the spec. If, broadly, its not in the spec of the WG, its not part of the mission.
>
> Either codify it and add it to yet-another-assertion-protocol list, or lets not talk about it (here).

agree broadly. It is useful to look into it in so far as it allows one to show how non TLS services could participate easily in a WebID world.

But there is little need to standardise things here, as opposed to with OpenId like protocols. The reason is that with WebID the Relying party can choose his authentication party  (eg. foafssl.org) - there is therefore no strong need for a standard.  In OpenId on the other hand the client specifies the Authenticating service (known as the IdP), and the Relying Party needs to communicate with it: so there has to be a standard way for them to communicate.

The only reason to use an OpenID like service is that it would just build nicely on people's existing knowledge.